Our fall routine, which worked nicely during the fall, was no longer working. Same children, same curriculum. Did the snow somehow disturb our previous rhythm? No matter the cause, some alteration became necessary.
So, this morning I asked my students to write down all of their subjects on a scrap paper. Their next step was to cut apart those subjects and arrange them in order of their own preference. I received each “dream schedule” and evaluated their requests.
I was surprised to find that I could accommodate many of their requests. Both Circuit and Button requested history first—a nice starting point. None of the other subjects aligned exactly, and I was concerned that I’d made a mistake in asking their opinions. But, I just reworked our previous block-time strategy for subjects that they cover separately. [It helps to give them distance from each other, even when they use some of the same curriculum!] I moved around all the subjects we cover together, also. I hope that the new order of things will be enough of a change to encourage peace.